********************Every once in awhile I'll get a forwarded email that I think is worth sharing with friends and family and rather than delete it, like I do so many other pieces of electronic junk mail, I'll forward it along or maybe - if it's really interesting and I haven't been able to think of anything else to write about! - I'll post it here.
I recently received such an email from a friend entitled "What's In a Name?". There was an attached link where you could go over to a new page, type in your first and last names, and see just how many other people in this great country of ours answers to the same name as you. After finding out just how many of you there are, you then went to the bottom of the numbered list on the email, added your name and the number of people who shared it with you to the list, and forwarded it along to anyone that you thought might be interested. There were no threats that you would turn into a cockroach within six hours if you didn't forward it to fifty people within the next 9.75 minutes or that something great would happen to you at midnight the next day if you were to send it along to everyone in your address book - just add your name and send it on or not.
Being the curious sort and all, I was fairly confident that there could be not be another Linda Orlomoski living in America without my knowing about it so I went on over to the link and - sure enough - not only were there no other Linda Orlomoskis but there were no Orlomoskis period. Apparently the name doesn't exist in the database at all. Gee, what a surprise!
On the other hand, I had always thought my first name was fairly common and it turns out I was right as according to the statistics on this page:
* There are 1,552,337 people in the U.S. with the first name Linda.My mother once told me that she had originally wanted to name me Barbara but my father told her that Barbara was too common of a name so he suggested the name Linda. I am the only one of his four children whose name he picked out but it turns out that Dad was a bit off on the popularity thing as, again, according to the statistics on this page:
* Statistically the 14th most popular first name.
* More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Linda are female.
* There are 1,469,846 people in the U.S. with the first name Barbara.Turns out the popularity of the name Linda to Barbara squeaks ahead just a tiny bit but isn't it nice to know that most Lindas and Barbaras are female? I've really got to wonder about the other .1 percent though!
* Statistically the 15th most popular first name.
* More than 99.9 percent of people with the first name Barbara are female.
While I was checking statistics on names, I decided to run my two former married names through the check and I've decided that I rather like the uniqueness of being Linda Orlomoski as compared to being one of the 64 Linda Doughtys and the 171 other Linda McCanns. My last name might cause people to trip over the tongue a bit but at least I know my name is just mine and no one else's!
Curious to know how many people share your name? Click on the link below: