Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Just another manic ... Tuesday??

Here it is, after 10:00 at night and I am finally getting around to posting something in my blog which will probably end up amounting to about 1,000 words of whining when I'm done! Sigh ... I need a longer day sometimes!

I got home from work at the usual time and found not one but two boxes from WalMart had been delivered via the big brown truck. When I had finally gotten around to ordering a new desktop PC and microwave oven (my mother had given me a gift card to get one at Christmas), I had decided to order off of WalMart.com for the simple reason that I have a bad back and it seemed so much easier to have large, heavy boxes delivered to my door rather than go through the process of lugging them around myself. Plus WalMart actually has what one would call decent prices for shipping and handling so it seemed like a marvelous idea.

I wasn't expecting both things to arrive on the same day (got to love that package tracking info that is oh-so-accurate!) but they did and that left me with my hands full for the evening. Before hauling Amanda off to NFA so that she could play in pep band at the basketball game tonight, I managed to get the kitchen rearranged and get the new microwave set up (I really had been meaning to clean those counters for quite some time!). That, as it turned out, was the easy part.

After I got home from a quick run through the grocery store (don't you hate it when you run out of milk and kitty litter at the same time?) I then tackled the big project - setting up the new computer. First things being first I had to dismantle the old desktop to make room for the new and then I unpacked the new one and got it all hooked up and ready to go so that Amanda could use it tomorrow while I'm at work for 16 glorious hours. The only thing left to do was get the new wireless software up and running so that she could have Internet access.

The new computer didn't come with a wireless card so I had decided to try using one of the new ones that, rather than hard wire into the computer, you can just plug into a USB port. It had seemed simple enough that even a not-so-technologically-adept person like myself could handle it so I got the thing out of the box, got my glasses on so I could figure out exactly what I was doing, and found out that I couldn't install the software because it wasn't compatible with Windows Vista. What the ...???

After staring at the package inserts for awhile, I decided to give NetGear tech support a call to see if there was some way around this little predicament and after listening to a good five minutes of recorded instructions, I ended up speaking to some woman whose name had to be Helga who vacationed in the fjords. After getting through the language barrier issues, she told me that they didn't make drivers for Vista yet and I would have to use an older Windows operating system. Uh ... Helga ... new computer with only Vista installed ... "vell den, vat choo need to do ist to take der card bach to der store und get chour money bach."

Spectacular! So now it's 8:15, I know I'm going to have to pick Amanda up from the game soon, but I figure if I drive like a fiend across town I can get to Staples before they close and see if there is a wireless card that IS compatible with Vista. Of course, before I can get halfway there my cell phone rings and it's Amanda who is ready to be picked up - but of course! I explain to her that I am just about at Staples trying to get a new wireless card and if she can hang tight for a few I'll be there as soon as I can. "No problem", she says.

I careen into the parking lot of Staples on two wheels, jump out of the car, and run up to the service desk only to find out that apparently no one has Vista-compatible wireless cards yet because it's such a new operating system. A few not-quite-foreign and yet colorful words escaped my lips as I realized that I was going to have to go the old-fashioned way and hook the new computer up to the modem - which wouldn't be so bad except that there are no phone jacks upstairs where the computer is which is the reason I went wireless to begin with. Great - more rearranging when I get home as I know there is no way that Amanda would survive the entirety of tomorrow without Internet access - how could she check her MySpace messages, how could she IM Dan and Nicole, how could she do anything??

After returning the useless-to-me wireless card, I zoomed over to NFA, grabbed the kid, and on the way home made a quick stop at the local gas station for if I didn't I was going to be pushing the car to work in the morning. Some idiot had let it get down below a quarter of a tank! (Yeah, yeah, that would be me!) Could this day get any more screwed-up? It was now after 9:00 at night, I hadn't eaten dinner, the computer still needed to be hooked up, I hadn't written anything in my blog, I needed to find a picture for Wordless Wednesday as I have to post it tonight or it doesn't get posted, and- worse yet - I had forgotten to set the DVR to record House!!

Finally getting home, Amanda and I got the new computer disassembled from upstairs and down to the dining room where I hooked it up temporarily until I can actually find the time and strength to lug the desk downstairs. Of course I had to move both the modem and router and find another ethernet cable in order to get everything hooked up but shortly before 10:00 I had everything up and running like it was supposed to and I could at last throw something in the new microwave to nuke for dinner. Whew!

I was finally able to sit down with my laptop a little bit ago to post something but I feel terrible that I haven't had a chance to make the rounds of the blogs that I usually read each day. Add on the fact that I won't be able to get to them tomorrow until after I get home at 11:00 at night and I am going to have some serious catching up to do!

It's times like this that I really hate being the only adult in the house - the one responsible to make sure that everything is up and running as it should be - the one who has to do all of the assembly on new things - the one who has to do all the driving and grocery shopping and fueling of the car - and the one who's going to have to move everything around again on my day off once I figure out how to lug the desk downstairs without blowing out a couple more disks in my back.

Sometimes I just don't want to be "I am woman hear me roar" anymore. I'd really rather be "honey, can you take care of that for me?" Oh well ... whatchagonnado?? At least Amanda has Internet AND the new computer for tomorrow and she's happy - that's gotta count for something.


  1. I love the way you describe things.. like careening in on two wheels! LOL!

  2. GREAT use of words. I feel your pain girlfriend. When it can go wrong, It will. Hang in there. Can't wait to here the rest of the story and how long it will take the rest of the world to be vista compatiable. You would think they would plan better in this day and age. Annoying.

  3. I don't know how you do it. Next time I whine about being "too tired", I'm gonna slap myself...'cuz compared to you, I'm NOT! Hopefully your computer installment issues resolve soon!

    Amanda, you are SO lucky to have a mom who'd go through that much trouble to make sure you had internet access without interruption even though it meant going crazy taking one 'puter down, and setting the new one up BEFORE going to a 16 hour shift!


Thanks for visiting!