If there is one Virgo trait that I am as guilty of as they come (well, truth be told there's a lot more than one but for the express purpose of this post we'll just say one!) it would be over-thinking things. I am no more capable of just "hit it and quit it" as my friend Mo says than I am of trying to sing the National Anthem at the final game of the World Series! It just ain't gonna happen!
Case in point is my upcoming trip to Stockton to visit my friend Cyndi who will be spending the remainder of her life hooked up to a ventilator. I spent virtually hours on-line last night looking over various and assorted options for flights to California. At first I thought I'd try for a non-stop flight out of Boston's Logan airport to San Francisco but then after looking at the high cost of parking near Logan I thought that I'd try for something closer by instead with better parking rates. So then I looked at flights out of Hartford and then I looked at flights out of Providence and then I looked at flights into Oakland and flights into Sacramento and then I told myself to "just pick something!!"
Finally I decided on a flight out of Providence via a puddle-jumper to Dulles connecting to a flight on a huge 777 to San Francisco which would get me there around 8:00 in the evening. My returning flight would be an early morning (6:00 a.m.) flight out of San Francisco to Newark where I would then board another puddle-jumper back to Providence. The price came in right around $321 which isn't bad for coast-to-coast flying. I booked the flight directly through Continental and at the end of the booking process was notified that I had up to 24 hours to change or cancel the reservation without penalty.
I figured that I was good to go and went ahead and booked my hotel room with a pretty good deal through Priceline with the plan that I would simply drive over to the airport the night before my flight and basically hang out in the airport and use their free WiFi or what-not rather than pay for a hotel room that I was going to be leaving at 4:00 in the morning anyway. After all, we all know what a time-suck the internet can be and before I knew it, my flight would be boarding and I could sleep on the way home - if I was lucky!
Well, I was good with that plan right up until about 5:00 this evening when I received an email from Travelocity about new lower prices so naturally I had to go take a look and sure enough, there were a couple of flight options out of Boston again that were about $55 dollars less than the one I had booked last night. Plus the flight out would get me to San Francisco around 4:30 instead of 8:00 and upon leaving, rather than sit in the airport all night long waiting for an early morning flight, I could actually take a flight out at that same night at 11:30 p.m. which connected through Chicago and got me back to Boston the next morning at 11:30 a.m. rather than at 4:30 in the afternoon. Hmm, if I was going to be basically sitting in an airport all night anyway, why not just get on a plane and start my journey home?
Then again, there was that whole "it's a lot more expensive to park at Logan" aspect that had deterred me from flying out of Boston to begin with but I finally decided that in the end, the money that I saved on the flight would pretty much pay for the parking and if I really wanted to be cheap about it I could park at the T station in Quincy Center which is $8 a day and take the T out to Logan for $2. It would be trickier and require more lead time but it would definitely be cheaper.
Finally I once again yelled at myself to "just pick something!!" and ended up canceling my previous reservation with Continental and booking the new one through Travelocity which does NOT give me that 24-hour option of changing my mind. Which is good because knowing me, I'd over-think it even more and change my mind yet again and I really don't want to do that. I just want to get on a plane and go visit my friend while I still can.