Rather than making Mac & Cheese with Lobster as I mentioned yesterday, Matt ended up using shrimp after finding out that lobster is going for $32 a pound. $32 a pound??? Good Lord!!! No wonder I've never had it! The shrimp was an excellent substitute, though, and we all raved about the mac & cheese as well as the pork roast which was melt-in-your-mouth tender and good beyond words; sadly none of that made it to leftover status. Matt really outdid himself this year and not a single person walked away hungry. As a matter of fact, most of us sat around holding our stomachs and groaning that we had eaten way too much but it was just so good it was hard to not have "just one more bite"!
Having a high-stress job that sometimes seems like it's non-stop, it's really nice when we can get together outside of work and relax a bit. I think we need it and I also think we deserve it because our whole department works very hard during the year. Oh, and as for "who was answering the 911 calls?" - Kevin and Dane were both working along with one of the schedulers but Matt made sure to drop food by for them on his way over. The only things they missed were the desserts (a chocolate fountain with all sorts of goodies to dip in it, apple crisp, and Flán), the alcohol (of which there is still a lot leftover so I guess I need to have people over again because I won't drink it), and the camaraderie (which by itself was great) but unfortunately someone has to work. Hopefully those that missed the party this year can make it next year.
Now, on to something completely different - Debbie Dolphin of the New England Lighthouse Treasures blog tagged me for the "Crazy 8's" meme awhile ago and I figured that I had best get to it before I found myself spending the holiday season in the dungeon at Bloggingham Castle. Because there are no hard and fast rules about doing the meme exactly as written, at least none that I know of, I'm going to actually make this the "Crazy 8's Divided by Two" meme as I don't believe I can think of eight things for each category without severely taxing my brain.
Is this cheating? Hmmm, I don't know ... perhaps I should consult Queen Mimi about it? Of course if I do that, then I might risk going to the dungeon for some archaic law like an "Improper Meme Change" or something! Better to ask forgiveness later than to seek permission first in this case! So, with no further hemming and hawing on my part I shall now proceed with the new - and what I like to call improved -
Crazy 8's Divided by Two Meme8 ÷ 2 things I’m passionate about:
- Last night's Macaroni & Cheese with Shrimp - if you'd had the chance to try it, you'd have it at the top of your list, too! It was to die for I tell you!
- Fairness in all things.
- Blogging - go figure but 'tis true, I spend an awful lot of time on my blog and those of other people.
- Friends - They are the people that you can laugh and cry with and the world would be a sad place without them.
- I feel like Death eating a cracker.
- How many more days until I can sleep in?
- American Ambulance, what's the address of your emergency?
- Will these stupid phones never stop ringing??
- I'm going to have to pass on this one because I can't think of one book I've read recently - never mind four! Does reading long blog posts count? I can think of a bunch of those and not just ones written my myself!
- Visit England.
- See Amanda become an established artist.
- Be told "I love you" by someone really special.
- Watch my children and grandchildren grow up to become well-adjusted, happy adults.
- "Come What May" - from the soundtrack for Moulin Rouge
- "Famous Last Words" - from the Black Parade CD by My Chemical Romance
- "Not a Day Goes By" - from the I'm Already There CD by Lonestar
- The following video -
8 ÷ 2 things that attract me to my friends:
- A sense of humor
- The ability to accept me as I am
- Sewing pants on plushies can be tricky!
- It hurts when your daughter "glomps" you at a concert!
- People that you meet online can turn out to be absolutely fantastic and fun and good friends!
- Playing Guitar Hero can be a lot of fun even if you're almost 50!
Now, if you'll excuse me there is some leftover Mac & Cheese with Shrimp and Flán calling my name! Ah, bliss!